My StumbleUpon Story

My Stumble StoryI had a very new blog, and I was still really stupid. I woke up one day with hundreds of hits from “Stumbleupon”, but when I clicked the direct link, it didn’t tell me what it was.

I was curious, and called my genius child who said “wow, I love Stumbleupon.”

Stumbleupon is an “all in one place” internet dump. There is no timeline, there is no newsfeed and you don’t need your friends.

I spent a year trying to get hits again, and got nowhere, until recently.

My Stumble Strategy

First I installed the extremely annoying and buggy Stumble Bar, keep it turned off unless you’re using it.

Stumble Bar

Three times a day, I go to Stumbleupon.com, with the Stumble Bar already there, it’s easy to thumb up various websites and pages. (Again, I’m not talking about your friends or your own blog yet.) I thumb up at least ten at a time. These are pages that have already been submitted by someone else. Yes, I read some of the stuff, I do some of the quizzes, because really, it has awesome shit.

While I’m on each of the pages, I follow all the people that like it as well. I know none of these people and don’t care.

Now Stumbleupon likes me, they think I’m useful to their community, I helped!!!

My Blog is Being Stumbled

Now it’s time to post one of MY pages to the website. Easy Peasy.

With the Stumble Bar installed, I go to one of my posts (not the main page)

I thumb up the post. If no one has added it before, it will bring you to a new page where you say it’s safe for work, and which categories it belongs in. Tada! Your blog is now part of the community. Now just cross your fingers because it’s up to the world, if they like it, you will get more thumbs up, if they don’t, you get thumbs down. Too many thumbs down, and you disappear forever!Add a Post

Including Your Friends

Now let’s bring our friends in. Do the same for them as you did your own post. Go to the post, thumb up, add to website.

***Again, I’m just talking out my ass, this does work for me though.

If you’re lucky, and have friends like me, they take the trouble to learn how to add the StumbleUpon button. Then they teach you, then they write blog posts to teach all your friends. My friends rock.

Please check out Elena Peter’s post on how to add the Stumble button on WordPress.com

PS This was written by request.

65 comments on “My StumbleUpon Story

1. […] Now that you have the StumbleUpon button, you should learn how to use the platform correctly. My bloggy friend Laura from Skinny & Single, has been really successful with getting tons of traffic to her blog from SU. Here is a quick and easy post explaining how she uses StumbleUpon for her blog. […]

2. Stumbleupon is where most of my (still meager) traffic comes from, so I love it. I am just working on Pinterest now, but….fuck there are some awful blog posts lurking there!

• Bleck, Pinterest traffic has hit the skids for me lately, not sure what happened. I’m told it’s only me🙂 If you want to add additional Stumble tips, I’d love that🙂

• imsimplyadad says:

Yes there is Mrs Fancy-Pants. I get annoyed when I see someone with mediocre content with a huge following. Of course, I think my stuff is top notch, but I have to fight for every page view. Thanks for writing this skinnyandsingle. Have you tried the sumome share bar? It’s one of the free features and includes a stumble link too.

3. joleisaleisa says:

Dear Mrs Skinny and Single
    Never stumbled upon anyone like you! I LOVE your style of writing. I’m very impressed actually. Thanks for your stumble upon story. I will try it out too!

4. Thanks for the tips! I have known about stumble upon, but always wondered if I was using it correctly.. Will definitely try this out!

5. […] light of my recent Stumbleupon Story, I thought I’d share my Reddit […]

6. choff777 says:

Reblogged this on Jacqueline Cioffa and commented:
    My Stumble Story by skinnyandsingle

7. Reblogged this on On The Verge and commented:
    I can tell you that this works. #TrueStory.

8. karyld2016 says:

Thanks for this! I signed up for StumbleUpon last year, but it was a little overwhelming. Like another commenter stated, I’m already on a bunch of other social media sites, and I’m just afraid of ONE MORE thing to keep up with. But it sounds like to give it another chance.

• This isn’t the same. This is the least overwhelming site I have found. I don’t worry if people “like” me. I don’t worry about what they think, there is no feedback to worry about, it’s the most amazing thing.

9. I think being a valued, active member in any community will bring some kind of karmic visitors. Yay!

10. MattieDog says:

Stumble Upon is a little mysterious…. I feel a bit like Fonzie when I Stumble, but hey, it worked for him so why not me? This is a helpful post and I’m a bit more motivated to go stumbling!

11. note to self: stumble more. Thanks for sharing!

12. I think my comment got eaten. Thanks for this info. I have days when I get a lot of hits from SU, but I’m never quite sure what to do to make it more consistent. Thanks for sharing at the Blogger’s Pit Stop.

13. I really need to get with it. I have an account over there but have never used it. Actually, I’m a bit intimidated by it. I already have too many other social media sites going on to promote my blog, and the thought of adding yet another sharing platform gives me the hives.

14. OK, I’m off to give this a try…

15. plotless1 says:

From the many comments I see people are really interested in this, but I am not, can you not do post like this again, and continue to talk about single life, and clingyness and vagina pains, etc. Those are the post that I enjoy, and frankly, yes the world in my eyes revolves around me.

16. Here is the most ridiculous question. How do I follow people? I thumb up and stumble, but I don’t seem to be able to see who else liked or stumbled any posts…

17. I started to do this then the site went down. Maybe I was stumbling too much. LOL! I’ll try again later. Thanks for this information though. It’s very helpful, especially since I don’t really understand several social media sites like Stumbleupon:)

I had never heard of Sumbleupon – will have to check it out. Thanks

19. Love Stubleupon. Its like hitting “random” on the Internet. I didn’t know following people was helpful, but I will add that you should add 10 pages from other people for every one of yours so that you don’t look spammy. Other than that I have no idea how their algorithms work

20. Shirley Corder says:

Thanks for this. Can you believe I’ve never heard of stumble upon? I’ve probably seen it mentioned and just thought, NOOOO – no more social media. Right now I’m trying to sort out an argument between Facebook and my website, but next up I’l look into SU. (Followed your post here from Blog, Post Share.)

21. anxiousgeek says:

I’ve started using stumbleupon again – good tip on the actual stumbling of other sites.

22. Deb says:

I am definitely giving this a try! Thank you for the details.

23. Steve says:

Oh yeah, how long before you stumbled your own posts?

24. Steve says:

Wow, that sounds awesome. I’m going to try that, I have used stumble upon before but not like that. Also, it sounds like they are not as nazi-like as Reddit seems to be?

25. XandrewX says:

:/ I was re thinking about my comment last night with interest! I have a fear that perhaps I come across as using people, nothing is further than the truth I would be v sad man to write comments so as people come to my blog, I know for my sins I comment too much only because I enjoy reading thoughtful posts. x

Great intro to Stumbling. I just joined it a few months ago, and to be quite honest, I add pages I come across randomly, hit some thumbs up, and have no clue what’s happening behind the scenes, lol.🙂

27. Drew Sheldon says:

I think I get it now. It’s my busy season, though. So in about two weeks, I’ma do this. Thank you so much.

28. XandrewX says:

🙂 Interesting post. I guess I should have done more last year, Facebook (don’t have) Twitter Feed (don’t have), Pinterest (?) etc trouble is I’m lol idle and lazy and mediocre, HOWEVER I’ve had therapy and ok with it (joking!)……….. LOVE reading others though x