Hug A Brat Today

hug

I never realized how much of a loss I would feel when my son moved out. I’ll admit it took five years to feel it, but it’s happened.

I’m grieving the loss of my kid’s childhood. It’s as painful as any grief I have ever felt. I see women, some my age, with young kids and I’m filled with a terrible melancholy. I feel like it was over in a day, I brought them home from the hospital and the next day they were twenty years old.

I feel like I have forgotten how tiny their little fingers and toes were.

I feel like I’ve forgotten their first step and their first word.

I feel like I have forgotten their first day of school, their first karate lesson.

I feel like I’ve forgotten their first date, first fight, first time they got drunk.

I grieve for the time that’s now gone because I don’t remember and didn’t cherishΒ every minute.

I don’t remember the moment that I was handed my first child. I don’t remember looking into his amazingly vivid purple eyes and feeling my heart explode with love. Nope.

I didn’t cherish the years we spent walking the town, going to the lake and parks. I didn’t cherish walking around eating a baguette. I didn’t cherish finding acorns and maple keys. Nope.

I don’t remember. I didn’t cherish. Some days that is how I feel, but yes I do remember, and yes, you’re damn right I cherished.

My kids are my greatest accomplishments. They did as they should have, they grew up and moved away. If you do a good job, your sweet babies will do the same. Hug the little brats for me, will ya?

Here is a hug to those that are tired and hate me. πŸ™‚

DIY Daddy Blog
Why You Should Hug Them As Much As You Can
Mummuddlingthrough
Advertisements

158 comments on “Hug A Brat Today

1. I love this post. I really try to hug my little three year old brat as much as I can even though she drives me bonkers because I know that time when she is flocking the house will come around before I know it. Great to have you linking up to #coolmumclub! X

2. Jen says:

I am so tired, but I know how fast it goes. My oldest is 15 and my youngest is 3. The years from 3 to 15 go faster than you can imagine. Even on those days when you are so dog eared tired.

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing at the #happynowlinkup

3. Ryan Bickham says:

I have two boys 2 and 4 and already I see them growing up and realise they will need me less and less; the time flies by too fast. #ThatFridayLinky

4. Aw hun, such a heartfelt post. My twins are four, almost five, and these past four years have flown by. Thanks for joining #ThatFridayLinky

5. diynige says:

A lovely beautiful post I always hug all my children very important Thanks for linking to the #THAT FRIDAY LINKY come back next week please

6. Tyane Milem says:

Love this!! My two youngest are brats, but I still enjoy every bit of it. I know that time goes way too fast!

7. Amber Harrop says:

Mine are at that age – one is 21 and one is 16 and both can be brats but I know it is not long until they are gone for good so I will hug them even if they think it is uncool !!

8. Even with all the pictures and scrapbooking in the world, you don’t remember those important moments and just how they felt. I agree that it’s kind of sad, and my oldest is only 12!
    #FridayFrivolity

9. Mom Of Two Little Girls says:

Even when my brats drive me crazy, I kiss them goodnight … when they’re asleep! πŸ™Š

10. That last line made me chuckle! It is crazy to think that Ben is 8 months now, not long til he is one. When I think about how fast this year has gone it does scare me about how in a flash it will be time for him to fly the nest.
    Im trying to learn to appreciate every moment I have with him – he got a tooth today, next thing ill know he’ll be walking!!! argh! #stayclassymama

11. webmdiva says:

I relate! But let’s pat ourselves on the back, too. We survived that shit!!!

12. webmdiva says:

oh….and #stayclassymama

13. Great post! I feel like I just had a mini insight into how my mom felt when I left for college, I couldn’t understand why she was sooooo upset. For a long time she was upset, but after I had my son I realised how intense the love of your child can be! I understand now and I try and cherish those moments albeit it’s really hard when you haven’t slept and want to pull your hair out 😁. Thanks so much for sharing with #StayClassyMama!

14. Becki says:

Awwwww. I’m looking at my 3 year old wondering where the last few years have gone, I don’t want to think about him growing up and moving out 😦 It’s bad enough that he’s starting nursery soon! #stayclassymama

15. Beautiful post! My little guy is 17 months and I can’t believe how fast it has gone! I try not to get to stuck on each stage…it seems like even as they get older the fun continues! Thanks for sharing this! #StayClassyMama

16. Back from #StayClassyMama and I’m still feeling this, I’m about to be home and hug the shit out of my son (I hope not literally)